The Electrical-Mechanical department has professionals and technicians from Electrical/ Electronic and Mechanical Engineering disciplines and has three major sections. These are the Electrical/ Electronic section, Mechanical (Building Services) section and Fire Services section.
The core functions of the Electrical-Mechanical department are
* Design, supervision and maintenance of Electrical/Electronic and Mechanical Engineering
* Installations in Government Buildings.
* Provision of fire prevention and protection services in Government Buildings.
* Provision of professional and technical advise to other Government ministries/departments and institutions
* safeguard persons and property
* Facilitate computerization and networking, to improve service delivery and cost effectiveness
Specifically the department is responsible for the installation of the following electrical and mechanical services in the public sector country wide:
* Lifts and elevators
* Electrical installations
* PABX installations
* Structured cabling
* Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) systems
* Refrigeration services
* Ventilation and Air Conditioning
* Boilers and heating installation
* Public health facilities
* Solar heating and power generation systems
* Kitchen and Laundry Equipment
* Fire protection services
These services are either rendered in liaison with other building professionals or directly by the department to client ministries/departments. The department also carries out statutory inspection of pressure vessels such as boilers, calorifiers and air receivers, lifts and elevators. These inspections are done to conform to the requirements of the Factories Act.
Fire prevention and investigation form one of the core functions of the Department. Fire personnel, who are spread throughout the country, carry out planned fire lectures and inspections for public departments and schools/colleges in the district. Whenever there is fire occurrence in a government and public building, our fire officers together with the police officers make independent investigations on the fire.
The Electrical-Mechanical Department is headed by the Chief Electrical and Mechanical Engineer, Eng. W.R Okubo and is situated on 4th and 5th Floors of Hill Plaza Building.
For more information contact
Chief Electrical and Mechanical Engineer
Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Departmnet
P.O BOX 30743
Telephone: 2723101 extn. 63295